Secrets of Good Sleepers
How do you know if your child is tired?
A tired baby may:
- Close fists
- Rub Eyes
- Use jerky arm and leg movements
- Have a worried facial expression
- Arch backwards
- Have difficulty focusing – go cross-eyed
- Suck fingers as a way of self soothing to sleep
A tired older baby may:
- Have any of the above signs of tiredness
- Pull at ears
- Become easily frustrated with play
- Have clumsy behaviour
- Have clingy behaviour
- Need or demand more attention
- Be fussy while feeding and eating
- Be less tolerant of new situations
A tired child may:
- Have any of the earlier mentioned tired signs
- Be more un-cooperative
- Become quickly frustrated
- Have more frequent temper tantrums
- Become fussy with food
- Have increased activity
Day Time Sleeps
Limiting you child's day time sleep will not help them sleep better at night. Research clearly demonstrates that babies and chidlren that are overtired have mroe difficulty settling and feeding during the day and night.
Is my child bored or tired?
Sometimes you may think your child is just bored and when you give him something to do the crying stops and the signs of tiredness stop. Watch and see if the grizzly crying and tired signs start again in a few minutes.
Babies and small children are easily distracted from their feeling of tiredness and this is why they get overtired so quickly. Overtired babies and children are more difficult to get to sleep.
When: 28 Feb, 9:30am
Where: Swan View
6 - 12 months. Is your baby having difficulty around sleep? Ngala provides a one-off workshop to help parents understand more about their baby's sleep. Information will be provided on sleep and settling strategies.