Parents Who Work Away
Many Western Australian families have a partner who works away.
Families with a parent who works away regularly are more common than many people think. Their first thoughts are usually of FIFO (fly in fly out) and the less recognised DIDO (drive in drive out) workers in the resource sector. Other sectors include defence personnel, transport, maritime, small business, corporate, sales and service industries to name a few. The differences between many of these types of work and their impact on families is the length of time, the predictability and frequency of the working parent being away from home.
This family arrangement provides unique opportunities and challenges for parenting.
Ngala has been involved in research with families living in these circumstances and is currently developing resources for families for families to deal with the many challenges they face day-to-day.
Ngala has just launched a new Parenting Workshop called Parents Working Away. This has been specifically created for parents who work away from home and their partners. In this workshops the issues that families find challenging are discussed and explored, as are practical ideas to help your family make the most of time together and remain connected during times apart. Find out more about the Parents Working Away workshop.
Ngala Support for families
- Ngala Helpline - for parents with babies and young children
- Helpline Online - contact the Ngala Helpline via our website
- Telephone and Webcam Consultations
- Ngala Parenting Plus In-Home Service - suitable for when you are planning short stays in Perth
- Web Based Resources
- Ngala Publications and Media
Skilled Dads Workshop – For dads looking at ways they can remain connected with their children.
If you are a family that has one parent working away you may be interested in some of our other parenting workshops, our research or the other resources listed below.
- If you are a parent who works in Karratha please refer to the resources on our Pilbara page.
- FIFO Families - www.fifofamilies.com
- Mining Family Matters - Australia's first online mining Community
- BubHub Parenting Forums for Parents with Partners working Away
Research and Publications
- “Aeroplanes always come back” Fly-in Fly-out
employment: managing the parenting
Dr Danielle Gallegos, Centre for Social and Community Research, Murdoch University
- Fly In Fly Out Research paper
- Fly In Fly Out Report (Summary and Key Findings)
- 'Fitting in with FIFO life'- Article Prepared by Ngala for March 2010 issue of Offspring Magazine.
- Department for Communities: Support for Mum When Dad Works Away.pdf
Are you interested in participating in a fly in fly out study?
Are you interested in participating in a research study about FIFO?
- Adolescents who live in FIFO
For more information click this link: Flyer for study
Other Related Topics
When: 20 Jun, 10:00am
For Grandparents of grandchildren 0 to 6 years. Looks at the important role of grandparents and discusses practical ideas for building and maintaining strong family relationships.