On the Family Affair segment in Weekends with Nat Browning on ABC Local Radio, we explore how parents and babies bond and grow their relationship:
- What is attachment? What is bonding?
- Why is attachment and bonding so important?
- How do babies learn to attach to their parents and how do
- parents learn to “tune in” into their baby?
- Why your relationship with your baby is so important, not only as a baby, but in their childhood and adulthood too.
- How looking after yourself is helping your baby to look after themselves too.
What to do if you are having difficulty with your relationship with your baby or child.
We discuss the Circle of Security, which is a map of relationships, and how we relate to babies and how they relate to us emotionally. We talk about:
- What is the Circle of Security and how does this map out our relationships with our baby?
- How can we build our babies self-esteem, confidence and social skills through our interactions with baby.
- How we can support our babies through the exploration of the world, and how we can be their safe haven when they face challenges or have emotional/ physical needs to be met.
- How even adults use the Circle of Security with their interactions.
- The secret to being a tuned in parent – in 25 words or less!
Resources for week 16 & 17:
- WA Dept of Health - Attachment
- RCN - Attachment explained
- RCN - Bonding
- RCN - Positive Attention
- RCN - Challenges to giving positive attention
- RCN - Newborn Connecting Videos
- Children and Youth Health - article on attachment
- Bringing Up Great Kids - relationships in the early years
- Bringing Up Great Kids - article on how to 'tune in' to your baby
- Circle Of Security
- Early Childhood Australia - sample chapter on circle of security
When: 28 Feb, 9:30am
Where: Swan View
6 - 12 months. Is your baby having difficulty around sleep? Ngala provides a one-off workshop to help parents understand more about their baby's sleep. Information will be provided on sleep and settling strategies.