Sleep and settling with the newborn baby
On the Family Affair segment in Weekends with Nat Browning on ABC Local Radio, we discussed newborn sleep and settling in Week 9. In this session, we discussed the newborn baby's sleep patterns and needs.
- When and how new born babies sleep.
- Some common myths about newborn baby sleep.
- Understanding the importance of play time, as well as quiet and sleep time for newborn babies.
- How to read your babies tired signs and how understanding tired signs can help with settling your baby.
- How to establish a regular bedtime routine and bed time environment to help babies unwind before sleep.
- How to tell if your baby is overtired, and what to do.
- In this session: we will be exploring how to respond to your baby’s tired signs, as well as:
- How to prepare baby for sleep time
- Different settling techniques that can help baby relax
- What the “startle reflex” is and how this can impact on settling your baby.
- How to settle baby in the bassinet using sensitive parenting and hands-on techniques.
- What to do if baby wakes up and is still tired?
- Different factors that can impact on newborn babies sleep patterns.
- Where you can get help with settling your baby.
- Ngala - Sleep and Settling
- Ngala - Settling Tips for Parents
- Conversations About Sleep 0-3 Years Video Guide
- Dept of Health - Child Development 0-3 Months
- Dept of Health - Sleep 0-3 Months
- RCN - Newborns and Sleep
- RCN - Videos on connecting with your baby
- What Were We Thinking - Settling your baby
- What Were We Thinking - Understanding baby's cries
- Child and Youth Health (SA) - Crying baby & setting article
- Child and Youth Health (SA) - how to handle baby when they won't stop crying
The Wonder Weeks - Resources, books and smart phone/tablet App to explain brain development leaps, how they impact on baby and how to help support your baby through the first year of life.
When: 20 Feb, 1:30pm
Birth to 4 months: A 5-week series of workshops for parents with a newborn baby. Each workshop covers a wide range of topics about you and your new baby and provides the opportunity to meet and connect with other new parents in your local area.